Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Avalanches

Do you remember how absurdly awesome the Avalanches album, "Since I Left You" was? For me, it was the first time I had heard someone really sample things in a way that completely mutated the source material. It was also about the same time as I got into the internet–I was a late internet bloomer–and I was just beginning to really take my already eclectic music tastes to the extreme. They brought all of these things together in a way that was 'gasp' artistic. Hearing them drop "Like a Rolling Stone" over "Holiday's" bassline made me completely lose my mind. Totally uncheezy ungimmicky. It is unfortunate that we entered mashup hell pretty soon after that release, perhaps overshadowing their greatness. What is interesting is that in the current (internet dance) music scene, I feel that people look to Hollertronix as the progenitors of the no-holds barred DJ mix, but it seems to me that the Avalanches were doing something similar, but more cohesive, earlier but get relatively little love. Anyway, here is a mix that I found at Nialler9, which has absolutely 0 dance songs and exactly 2 Van Dyke Parks songs. LISTEN TO THIS SHIT AND THEN THINK ABOUT THE FACT THAT THEY PLAYED THIS IN IBIZA.

No comments: