Saturday, June 21, 2008

NEW MUXTAPE

LISTEN!

Genies Afraid of the Dark-Roy Alton
On the whole, there are far too few songs about genies in my life right now. In fact, there are basically none except for this one and "Never Had a Friend Like Me" from Aladdin. I am pretty sure that this song is about ghosts, though, and not about the kind of genies that grant wishes and live in lamps. I will take what I can get, though. Actually, isn't a soca song about ghosts, like twice as rad as the normal soca subject matter which is mainly doing it and "wineing pon it"? Just saying.

Can we hang out tonight?-Count Bass D

This song sums up everything that I wish I could say to cute girls at the grocery store.
Can we hang out tonight?
Will you show up?
Have fun if you want to, girl,
You aint gotta act grown up
You ask too many questions, baby,
You wonder about my love,
All I'm asking is
Can we hang out tonight?
In fact, I might just walk around blaring this tune and looking at chicks with the questioning eyebrow. Count Bass D is rad, has been rad for a bit. Nowadays, in the world of pimply blogjays, it is common for people to have reservations about the Stone's Throw sort of aesthetic of people like the Count. Fuck them.

?-Moodymann
Moodymann was a big name in house music for a while, I haven't heard anything from him in a bit. The awesomeness of this song corresponds to my theory which dictates that the raditude of dance music is directly related to the amount of black dudes from detroit involved. Sexless white people=death=fist pumping when you should be dancing.

Slide Slide-Basement Jaxx
Old Basement Jaxx. If you were stuck on a desert island and had to pick Daft Punk or the Jaxx, what would you do? You know what I would do.

Stay the Night-Billy Ocean
Billy Ocean is a god among men. "You're a woman, I'm a man/Let's do what nature planned"? Don't tell Judith Butler!

A Minha Menina-Jorge Ben
So maybe you have seen McDonald's new series of hipster-baiting ads: dudes in v-necks and moustaches telling you to eat a mchicken sandwich, some girl in cute flats outside of her pseudo gentrified loft telling you to try the mcburger. It was bound to happen and frankly I am glad. LETS ALL GET PAID, BITCHES! But they hit a new high when they transmuted the hipsterness into using the Os Mutantes (aka the only brazilian band besides Bonde do Role and CSS that gets play in Urban Outfitters) version of A Minha Menina in an ad. Oh snap! Why do I remain unruffled? Because I know that it is a Jorge Ben song and I am in possession of the original version–which is slightly less cool than the mutantes version, but I will claim otherwise from now on.

Gobbledigook-Sigur Rós
This is not a Sigur Rós song. Actually it is, but I had to be convinced. I associate Sigur Ros with hangovers, because that is when I play their music–lying in bed trying not to die and imagining that I am on a windswept icelandic knoll and not sweating my face off in Texas. This, however, is some sort of, dare I say, raucous joy-song. Even the title is recognizable gibberish. I am kind of a fan.

Paradise-Young Chris f. Lil' Wayne
Lil' Wayne's new album is not that good. I am very far from saying that he is the greatest rapper alive. NEW RULE: When Salon.com says that you are the greatest rapper of all time, you are most certainly not. This is a Young Chris song and it is a bout being high and wanting to be more high, Lil' Wayne shines on this and Young Chris brings it hard. Even Akon-esque hook singer guy sounds good. Faux-caribbean music!

Somebody's Watching Me-Sweet
I don't know jack shit about this song besides the fact that it rules balls.

Finally Changes-KOT v. Chris Lake
Here's the thing, Kings of Tomorrow have this song called Finally. Chris Lake has this song called Changes. here they have been brought together to form the proverbial voltron of dancefloor bangers.

Can't Satisfy Her-I Wayne
People who are too embarassed to use the term "mashup" generally say "blend." It evokes fewer images of britney spears singing over falco. That said, this is a blend of I Wayne's Can't Satisfy Her with Bad Boys. While I am sorry to see Shyne go, I think that Wayne sounds great over this beat, especially since the original rhythm for Can't Satisfy Her is kind of trife. This song is essentially about how being a ho is not merely something one does, it is something one is. It is a legitimate existential position. ALSO: "she needs more wood for the fire." Holy pun!

Up in the Treehouse-Cody Chesnutt
All of this Afrobama business got me thinking about Cody Chesnutt. I went back and listened to the Headphone Masterpiece–dude filled 2 CDs with some of the most uneven material I have heard in a bit. He fills a great niche, though. People who like ass shaking too much to seriously dig Steven Merritt, yet like the grit of a 4 track tape recorder. Enter Msr. Chesnutt. while this song is not of the ass shaking variety, it is is really sweet.

No comments: